Geodesign internships provide a valuable applied learning opportunity for students to explore future career paths and gain valuable work experience. Our undergraduate students have landed internships at companies and organizations including Esri, NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, The Los Angeles Mayor's DataLA Summer Academy, Marin Municipal Water District, OnSite Engineering, the Huntington Library and Gardens, Southern California Environmental Health Science Center, BCRA Architects, among others.
Read about the internship experience of another GeoDesign major.
The Spatial Sciences Institute collaborates with the USC Career Center to help students identify opportunities to apply the skills and competencies they have learned in the classroom toward a productive career path. Geodesign internships, fellowships, grants, and employment openings are available through connectSC. We encourage students to review current openings by logging on to connectSC using your USC net ID. Students can find information for openings in locations throughout the country. These listings are continuously updated, so it is a good idea to check back frequently.
Employers seeking applicants for either paid or unpaid positions are advised to create a profile with the USC Career Center. In addition, information for opportunities can be sent directly to Ken Watson, Academic Programs Director, for direct posting to students via internal message boards and social media. Please be sure to include a brief description of the position available, desired qualifications and requirements along with instructions on how to apply. We welcome new partnerships on an on-going basis.
Geodesign Internship Spotlight: GIS Surveyors, Inc.
GIS Surveyors, Inc. (GSi) is a multifaceted geospatial firm headquartered in Poway, California. Our flagship office was opened in 2013 and the growth and success has been remarkable. Our business covers a wide range of services including Land Surveying, GIS, CAD modeling, LiDAR, and Technical solutions. Additionally, GSi is certified as a Service-Disabled Veteran Owned Business.
What separates GSi from other geospatial firms is our ability to create and grow a firm focused on attracting and cultivating professionals with the expertise to seamlessly deliver innovative geospatial solutions to our clients. Through standardized methodology and processes, the precise and accurate data we create and deliver to our clients is the undeniable cornerstone of strong geospatial deliverables.
Our internship program and partnership with the University of Southern California (USC) is mutually beneficial to both USC and GSi because of our like-minded approach to geospatial education and training. The program has been designed to take highly educated individuals and coach them in applying their foundational knowledge to real-world applications in the realms of surveying, LiDAR and GIS technology. We strive to find the best fit for our company and believe in mentoring and cross-training to expand foundational education to numerous technical specialties to fit our multifaceted geospatial approach.
GSi Internship Description
- Data mining multiple sources of data thru county websites or 3rd party contractor and/or client sites to verify information or true up GDB information
- Cartography, following existing templates and/or SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) documentation.
- Assist PM or Senior Specialist in analyzing data and/or running statistical analysis for reports including .csv, .xml, .dbf, .mdb
- Digitizing pole, circuit, line or other assets either through heads up ortho imagery or LiDAR data .las files
- Conversion of .DXF or .DWG files into GDB or shapefiles
- Assisting in compiling graphs, maps or reports from printer/plotters and delivery of files to client in person or digital communication
- Conduct field visits for GIS or Surveying purposes providing ground truth, chainman or investigative information of utility network
- Provide standard and AdHoc maps upon request of client and or team lead
- Downloading reference data as needed from county or other federal websites
- Strong desire to contribute within solutions-based Surveying, GIS and LiDAR Geo-Spatial firm.
- Working knowledge of Esri Platform software ArcGIS 10.x
- General knowledge of utilities (gas and electric), infrastructure, data modeling, GDB schema design and use within enterprise-level systems
- Strong mathematical, statistics, analysis and general problem solving
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Auto-CAD experience or knowledge is a plus
- General knowledge of ArcFM or Utility Network Analyst Toolbar
- Surveying and/or GPS knowledge (projections)
Please email a current resume to Helen Jeon at firstname.lastname@example.org by Wednesday, December 19, 2018.
National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency
The National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency delivers world-class geospatial intelligence that provides a decisive advantage to policymakers, warfighters, intelligence professionals, and first responders. Both an intelligence agency and combat support agency, NGA enables the U.S. Intelligence community and the Department of Defense to fulfill the president's national security priorities. Additional information, including contact info for applying, can be found here.
NASA DEVELOP Program
Use GIS and remote sensing to help NASA address community issues]The NASA DEVELOP program aims to recruit current students, recent college graduates and career transitioning professionals. This is a great opportunity for individuals who are interested in practical applications of remote sensing and GIS, specifically in the field of Earth Science. DEVELOP projects focus on addressing local and international community concerns while utilizing NASA's Earth observations. Participants work in teams, with guidance from NASA and partner science advisors, to demonstrate to partner organizations how NASA remote sensing imagery can be used in water resources, disaster management, ecological forecasting, and other applications to address environmental community concerns. DEVELOP’s projects are interdisciplinary in nature, so applications are welcome from all academic backgrounds. Additional information, including contact info for applying, can be found here.