Systems Administrator III
Become the next Systems Administrator for the Spatial Sciences Institute. This position is with the Dornsife College of Letters, Arts and Sciences Technology Services on the University Park campus, Los Angeles, California.
We are looking for a Systems Administrator to maintain a reliable, secure and efficient compute platform. The ideal candidate will be able to deploy, configure, maintain and monitor all server/network equipment in order to ensure smooth systems operation.
Applications must be submitted through the USC jobs portal by clicking the link above.
- Fully support, configure, maintain and upgrade the Spatial Sciences Institute compute environment
- Install and integrate new server hardware and applications
- Maintain Monthly Patch Schedule
- Support and administer third-party applications
- Ensure network security and connectivity
- Monitor network performance (availability, utilization, throughput, goodput, and latency) and test for weaknesses
- Set up user accounts, permissions and passwords
- Resolve problems reported by end user
- Specify system requirements and design solutions
- Research and make recommendations on server system administration
- Strong customer focus - Support faculty, undergraduate and graduate students.
Requirements and skills
- Must be a self-driven and customer service orientated.
- Proven experience in a System administrator role
- Hands on experience with VMWare, firewall, enterprise storage
- Excellent knowledge of best practices around management, control, and monitoring of server infrastructure
- Experience with firewalls, Internet VPN’s remote implementation, troubleshooting, and problem resolution is desired
- Ability to set up and configure server hardware
- Familiarity with backup and recovery software and methodologies
- Great at organizing, prioritizing and multitasking
- VMWare VSphere
- VMWare Horizon
- GIS Software and Esri platform preferred
- PowerShell and Python
- Windows and Linux
- Webserver Tomcat, Apache, and WordPress
- Verbal and written communication skills
Salary range: $47 - $50.29 per hour - DOE
Required Documents and Additional Information:
- Resume and cover letter required (may be uploaded as one file). Please do not submit your application without these documents.
- Job openings are posted for a minimum of (5) five business days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled any time after the minimum posting period has ended, so please apply on the same business day if interested.
- USC has excellent benefits, including health benefits for staff and their family with access to the renowned university medical network; eligibility for retirement plans with employer contributions after six months of employment; tuition benefits for staff and their family; free Professional Development classes; central Los Angeles location with easy access to commuter trains, buses and free tram pick up services; discounts to sporting and other campus events.
Performs other related duties as assigned or requested. The university reserves the right to add or change duties at any time.
The University of Southern California is an Equal Opportunity Employer that Values Diversity.
Minimum Education: Bachelor's degree, Combined experience/education as substitute for minimum education Minimum Experience: 3 years Minimum Field of Expertise: Advanced understanding of and experience with systems administration, backups, operating systems programming languages and associated hardware platforms. Previous systems administration experience required.