Proprietary Software for Free | Proprietary Software for Purchase
Open Source GIS Applications | Technical Support
If you are a currently enrolled USC student (undergraduate, masters, or doctoral) with a valid student ID, you can obtain a free one-year student trial license of Esri’s ArcGIS for Desktop Advanced and/or an account for one of the ArcGIS Online subscriptions supported by USC.
ArcGIS for Desktop
ArcGIS for Desktop is a native 32-bit Windows application used for GIS authoring, editing, analysis and geo-processing, to create, manage and share spatial data. Currently the version which is available is ArcGIS for Desktop 10.5.
ArcGIS for Desktop offers a wide range of optional extensions to expand the desktop software capabilities. The free one-year student trial license includes the following extensions:
- ArcGIS 3D Analyst for Desktop
- ArcGIS Data Reviewer for Desktop
- ArcGIS Geostatistical Analyst for Desktop
- ArcGIS Network Analyst for Desktop
- ArcGIS Publisher for Desktop
- ArcGIS Schematics for Desktop
- ArcGIS Spatial Analyst for Desktop
- ArcGIS Tracking Analyst for Desktop
- ArcGIS Data Interoperability for Desktop and Server*
- ArcGIS Workflow Manager for Desktop*
*Available by separate download
For detailed information on these extensions, please visit this link.
Each student is permitted to receive one ArcGIS for Desktop license per year. The one-year term begins on the date you activate the software by logging into the Esri website and downloading it to your computer. To obtain your student license, please email Stephanie Tran, Spatial Sciences Institute administrative specialist, from your official USC email. Please include your USC 10-digit ID and the number of the course in which you are using the software in your request. You will be emailed a license and download instructions within three business days.
Unless instructed by your course instructor, always download the latest version of ArcGIS for Desktop from the Esri website; the current version is 10.5.
For more information about the ArcGIS for student trial, please visit here.
USC students can access and use ArcGIS and the extensions in the USC Computing Centers maintained by ITS. For locations and other information about the USC Computing Centers, click here.
ArcGIS Online is a collaborative web GIS that allows you to use, create, and share maps, scenes, apps, layers, analytics, and data. You get access to ready-to-use maps, apps, and Esri’s secure cloud, where you can add items and publish web layers. You can think of it as a living digital atlas and also use it to extend the capabilities of ArcGIS for Desktop, ArcGIS for Server, ArcGIS Web APIs, and ArcGIS Runtime SDKs.
Viewed in these ways, an ArcGIS Online account provides access to a growing and dynamic repository of geographic data and geoprocessing tools. Students can request an account by emailing email@example.com from their official USC email account, and once their account is authorized, they will be assigned 50 online credits.
The Spatial Sciences Institute currently hosts seven ArcGIS Online subscriptions for the following groups:
- Students with majors administered by the Spatial Sciences Institute
- Students with majors administered by the Dornsife College of Letters, Arts and Sciences
- Students with majors administered by the School of Architecture
- Students with majors administered by the Price School of Public Policy
- Students with majors administered by the Keck School of Medicine of USC
- Students with majors administered by other USC schools
- Staff employed in USC Administrative offices
The student accounts will provide students with an ArcGIS Online subscription with the following apps:
- Map & 3D Scene Viewer
- Collector for ArcGIS
- Operations Dashboard for ArcGIS
- Explorer for GIS
- Open Data
- Esri Maps for Office
- Esri Maps for SharePoint
- Esri Maps for IBM Cognos
- Esri Maps for MicroStrategy
- Esri Maps for Salesforce
- Esri Maps for Dynamics CRM
- Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS
- Story Maps
- Web Application Templates
- Business Analyst Online
- Community Analyst
- GeoPlanner for ArcGIS
All student ArcGIS Online accounts will be removed 30 days after the end of the Fall, Spring and Summer semesters.